This post may contain affiliate links.
I recently went shopping for workout clothes and the euphoria I experienced after finding my perfect pairs of of 2 -n-1 athletic tights inspired me to share my best workout clothes shopping tips + tricks with you. Having fitness clothes that fit and flatter you is the perfect motivation to help you look your best while going for that endorphin rush.
TIPS + TRICKS FOR STYLING YOUR PERFECT FITNESS LOOK
- ASSESS YOUR BODY TYPE. What areas of your body do you want to emphasize (or de-emphasize)? What clothing styles look best on you and compliment your unique body shape? Wear brighter colors/prints on the areas you want to highlight and darker colors in places you want to balance/camouflage. Know yourself and know what looks best on your body type (google “workout clothes body type”) to find articles that will help you determine what will look best on your [tall, short, petite, apple, pear, triangle, busty, etc] body type.
- STRATEGIZE WHAT WILL LOOK BEST ON YOU. What colors help motivate you or look really awesome against your skin? Did you know that there are brands that make activewear with built in shape wear? The strategic placement of colors and seams can really make a huge difference when styling fitness outfits to flatter your body. Do you need extended sizes (long or short top/pant lengths)? Make a list of styles based on the information you gather when you do the above tip so when you’re out shopping you can stay focused on the things that will look best on you. Take advantage of the internet and “pre-shop” online to make sure the stores you’re going to visit have what you’re looking for.
- RESEARCH AND ASK YOUR FRIENDS’ ADVICE. One of my favorite ways to get trusted advice on workout clothes is to ask my Facebook friends (ex. “Yogi friends, what types of clothes are best for hot yoga?” “Runners, where’s your favorite place to buy running shoes?”). I also love sites that show customer reviews on their products/apparel.
- SPECIALTY SHOPS ARE A GREAT RESOURCE. No matter what your budget is, stores that specialize in workout apparel for women are an amazing resource. They typically have generous return policies, knowledgeable staff, complimentary outfit styling, alterations, stylish clothing with the best sports performance features, and can connect you with a community (free classes, store events, demos, etc.).
- SHOP SMARTER. Shop end-of-season clearances and subscribe to email newsletters/get on mailing lists to be notified of sales. Make a wish list and set up sale alerts for items that you want (ShopStyle and Pinterest can email you notifications when the price drops on your item) . Get the best stuff for your buck and buy the highest quality when it’s at the lowest price. At least for the sake of comparison, try on activewear at specialty stores.
- GET FITTED. Getting a fitting, for things like shoes and bras, can be especially helpful for determining what kind of workout wear with work out best for you. Before I went for a fitting for running shoes, I had no idea what would suit my flat, overpronating feet best (and I haven’t had a black toenail since). These clothes are an investment in your health and well-being and there are people out there whose job it is to help you find things that are perfect for you—take advantage!
- MOVE AROUND WHILE TRYING ON WORKOUT CLOTHES. Do a little bit of whatever activity you’ll be doing in the clothing. Does it properly support you? Is there any unflattering jiggling or gaping happening?
- KNOW WHAT KINDS OF FEATURES YOU WANT. Secret butt pocket that zip closed? Drawstring waist? Compression? Reversible? Thumbholes? Water-resistant pockets? These days there are SO many options in sports performance features in clothing.
- TYPE OF FABRIC – Moisture-wicking fabric does an amazing job at keeps you feeling dry and comfortable during your workout and it’s available at every price point.
- ACCESSORIZE. Pull your look together with fashionable, functional accessories like a sparkly headband (mine is by active bands and I got it on a daily deal at Jane) or monogrammed water bottle.
Here’s a little lookbook that I put together of workout clothing that I recently bought or am currently lusting after (all of which is on sale at the moment). Click the item for more info.
Did I leave anything out? Where is your favorite place to buy workout clothes? Do you have a favorite style that fits and flatters you perfectly? Let me know in the comments.
For more Outfit of the Day inspiration, check out my What I Wore posts.
Want to see more outfit inspiration from stylish bloggers? Check out What I Wore Wednesday.
Latest posts by Valerie Rowekamp (see all)
- a Pandemic, a Podcast & a Place to Staycation in Golden, CO - July 8, 2020
- LIFE UPDATE: Why I’ve been gone for 3-ish years - February 8, 2019
- JCPenney ♥ Pinterest #SoWorthIt Event Recap - April 29, 2016