This post may contain affiliate links.
In case you haven’t noticed yet, I finally did something that I’ve wanted to do for awhile–go natural with my hair. I didn’t really make a big deal out of it, it just happened one Saturday this summer (early July) when I just ripped my weave out. Here’s a little more of an explanation and how I plan to proceed with this whole hair thing.
My hair has been natural for years but I’ve always worn extensions (except for a day or so between weaves). As I got more interested in wearing my hair natural, I started following/subscribing/participating in the natural hair community through social media. Finally one day in July, I was scrolling through pictures on the CurlBox facebook page when I had the overwhelming urge to rip out my weave. I called my mom and cousin before I did it (for feedback) and they both encouraged me to take the plunge. I did. Here’s why…
- I’m almost 30 years old and I was clueless about how to take care of MY OWN hair. I am now an expert on caring for and styling virgin remy Indian hair but not the free natural hair that sprouts from my scalp. Before I wore weaves, I had relaxed hair but that natural stuff was foreign territory for me.
- My course, kinky, afro puff hair scares the $%*# out of me. No really, it’s wild and crazy and intimidating. I love a challenge though and there’s only one way to overcome fear–face it.
- The natural hair COMMUNITY is a sisterhood in itself. I wanted to be part of that.
- Boredom. I was ready for a change.
- A step towards self-acceptance.
- And this (video)…
I think that pretty much sums it up.
My experience thus far has been good. Going at it cold turkey was the only thing that forced to me finally figure it out. I’m so thankful to those of you out there who have left me encouraging comments when I started debuting the ‘fro, it really helped my bravery.
I am so excited to embark on this chapter in my hair story!