How to wear leggings? It’s leggings season again and here are a few tips/tricks/rules to insure that you wear your leggings appropriately. Leggings are NOT pants.
What are leggings?
Even though Dictionary.com defines leggings as “close-fitting knit pants”, I think the World English Dictionary definition of “an extra outer covering for the lower legs” is more appropriate for grown women. Leggings tow the line between being hosiery and pants. Leggings should NEVER be the sole piece of fabric covering you butt/crotch from view of the world.
Are my “leggings” actually leggings?
If you happen to buy one of those pairs of leggings that seems more tights-like, wear them as you would tights because under bright lighting they will become see-through.
If you buy leggings that are not the right size for your body (even though you are able to squeeze into them), they will also be more sheer than leggings are supposed to be. If you “muffin top” over your leggings or they feel uncomfortable in any way, they are indeed too small. Properly fitting leggings don’t leave lines on your skin when you take them off and should not show visible lines under whatever you’re wearing over them.
What to wear with leggings
- Something that covers your
- long shirts that end a little bit below your hips/upper-mid thigh
- over-sized sweaters
- if you really want to look sophisticated, wear a bootie/ankle boot/boots that leave no room for skin to peak out
- an extra layer (like a long cardigan, sweater, or vest) looks even better but the initial visible layer should cover your crotch area
- Balance clothing proportions by NOT wearing something tight-fitting with your leggings.
Some people say that you should wear leggings like you’d wear tights or any other hosiery. I am not one of those people but it does help to give you some perspective if you visualize your leggings as hosiery to gauge appropriateness (if that makes any sense at all). When in doubt, feel free to email me a picture or find an honest friend to advise you. Follow these same rules for jeggings. Jeggings are not pants either.
Keep it classy out there ladies and feel free to share this post with your fellow woman. My hope is that we can work together to keep overexposure to a minimum this leggings season (think of this post as a PSA).
Did you like this tutorial? There’s more where that came from in my How To Wear section of Fashion & Style.
For Outfit of the Day inspiration, check out my What I Wore posts.
What are your personal rules for wearing leggings? Do you have any fashion/style related questions you want me to address in post? Let me know in the comments (or email/tweet/facebook me).
There’s more where that came from! Holla ‘atcha girl -> :::: facebook ::: twitter ::: pinterest ::: google+ ::::
Latest posts by Valerie Rowekamp (see all)
- What I Wore #OOTD #Instafashion Outfits - October 20, 2014
- Fall 2014 Must Have Shoes Target vs Nordstrom - October 17, 2014
- Fashion Rocks Event at Macy’s Cherry Creek in Denver! #FashionRocks - October 16, 2014