As much as I love swimsuit shopping (no seriously, I LOVE it and you can too), I haven’t bought a new swimsuit yet in Summer/Spring 2012. When our neighborhood pool opened this weekend, I realized (yet again) that I could shop my closet to spruce up one of my old swimsuits and I’d love to show you some tricks breathe some new life into an old bikini using little to no cash.
Maybe you just have a favorite bikini top or bottom that fits you perfectly….
Buying swimsuit bottoms that offer my booty full-coverage is normally challenging for me and I’ve already amassed quite a few pairs that fit and flatter me so I just look for coordinating tops (thankfully, tons of stores sell swimwear as separates these days!). I keep it simple on bottom anyway (for body shape purposes) and have a lot of fun finding a fun/trendy/stylish top that will draw eyes up and enhance my bosom.
The following accessories are easy and functional ways to add some style to your swim ensemble…
- Sun Hat – floppy hats are a personal favorite of mine because they are super chic and protect your face from those aging-UV rays.
- Beach Tote
- Flip Flops/Sandals – you could even DIY some flip flops or add something to an old pair. I’ve probably already pinned some tutorials on my Pinterest page (see link at the bottom of this post).
- Sunglasses – I’m a fan of oversized frames.
- Bangle Bracelets – the cheap plastic waterproof kind
- Hair Clip – add a flower barrette to your hairstyle
- Beach Towel
When shopping (your closet or store) for swimsuit sprucin’ accessories look for the following to stay on trend and/or stylish…
- COLOR-BLOCKING – I am having so much fun with color blocking this season. Look for clashing colors, neutrals (like black and khaki), colors that appear next to each other on the color wheel (blue/green, pink/red, yellow/green, etc), and differing shades of the same color.
- NEUTRALS + NEON – If you have boring neutral suit, add a pop of neon to really add some style! This is one of my favorite trends and it’s super easy. My favorites are yellow or orange with navy and pink or orange with khaki.
- MIXED PRINTS – Sally McGraw of Already Pretty wrote a great tutorial on How To Mix Prints (works perfect for swimwear as well).
Hope that helps and I’d really love to see what you come up with (lay it out on the floor and post a pic to my facebook page/twit pic/instagram and I can feature your looks in a future post!